Thursday, May 10, 2012

34 Weeks and Preparation

This week I'm 34 weeks and feeling a little better than I have the past few. The baby has shifted into a position that has not been as uncomfortable and painful for me. Hope this continues especially over the next few weeks while we travel. I have also begun working on my long list of "To Do Before Baby Comes."

I started the 2 week plan at 32 weeks which means appointments every other week. Yesterday while the listening with the Doppler, the baby decided to stretch out and it contorted my whole belly in front of everyone. Made us laugh.

Last night I also took a water birth class. Of course I had this with Ashyr, but it was a nice refresher for me. The most important thing I was refreshed on was going into labor with an open mind and not so much on water birth.  (Obviously Ashyr's birth taught me something about being open-minded.) The reason this water birth class was refreshing in this way was because the speaker said that only about 25% of moms who plan a water birth actually have one. I was pretty surprised by this!

Now I'm not going into labor expecting a water birth (or even a birth center birth for that matter). I'm preparing myself to be open minded with scripture which will bring peace no matter what this birth looks like. This was BY FAR the biggest help for me last time and I truly believe the one thing that brought me through without panicking. Even in the scariest moments (i.e. Grant seeing the head while we were in our apartment and the midwife rushing here) I had scripture comforting me all along.

Sure, I want to be prepared in the practical ways--bags all packed, calling immediately at the first sign of labor, understanding water birth, baby projects and to do's completed etc. But I don't think I could do anything better for myself as having God's word tucked away in my heart and mind.  Nor would it be wise to solely lean upon my own strength, Grant's strength, or the midwives abilities.  When I think about it, God is the one forming this baby in the womb anyway, so why not lean upon Him for my source of strength and comfort to bring it into the world?  Makes too much sense...

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb." Psalm 139:13

No comments:

Post a Comment